During the afternoon of 12 June 2012 a meteorological phenomenon, characterized by a sudden increase in wind speed and a sharp change in its direction, occurred in the city of Barcelona and surrounding areas. The strong gusts of wind that blew on the Barcelona coastline raised a significant amount of sand from the beaches in the city, which caused a significant reduction in visibility on the coastline, like a small sandstorm. The operational disruption of Barcelona-El Prat Airport, located a few kilometers southwest of it, was also noteworthy, and led to the abortion of several landings. As indicated, moderate or strong winds affected other regions both north and south of the city of Barcelona, although generally with less intensity. This study has carried out a characterization of the phenomenon and has made a hypothesis about the gust front of convective source, associated to the showers and thunderstorms observed north of the city, as the main cause of the phenomenon. For this purpose, remote sensing data and surface automatic observation have been specifically analyzed. As for the radar data used, there is a novel use of some products such as the Doppler speed spectrum and the wind shear. The early detection of the phenomenon made it possible to notify the airport about the arrival of the gust front in advance, which helped in the track configuration changes that were made. It is, therefore, a good example of nowcasting with immediate practical application.
- - Bech, J., Pascual, R., Rigo, T., Pineda, N., Lopez, J. M., Arús, J., and Gayà, M., 2007: An observational study of the 7 september 2005 Barcelona tornado outbreak, Nat Hazards Earth Syst Sci, 7, 129–139, doi: 10.5194/nhess–7–129–2007.
- - Cubero, 1996: Cortante vertical del viento o cizalladura a niveles bajos, Low Level Wind Shear, II Jornades de Meteorologia Eduard Fontserè, Barcelona, 9 de noviembre de 1996.
- - Dotzek, N. and Friedrich, K., 2008: Downburst-producing thunderstorm in southern Germany: Radar analysis and predictability, Atmos Res, 93, 457–473, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2008.09.034.
- - Hamid, K., 2012: Investigation of the passage of a derecho in Belgium, Atmos Res, 107, 86–105, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2011.12.013.
- - Johns, R. H. and Doswell III, C. A., 1992: Severe Local Storms Forecasting, Weather Forecast, 7, 558–612, doi: 10.1175/1520-0434(1992)007<0588:SLSF>2.0.CO;2.
- - Klingle, D. L., Smith, D. R., and Wolfson, M. M., 1987: Gust front characteristics as detected by Doppler radar, Mon Weather Rev, 115, 905–918.
- - Klock, R. and Mullock, J., 2001: Local Area Weather Manuals. Chapter 2: Aviation Weather Hazards, NAV Canada publications, http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefinitionFiles/publications/lak/bc/BC31E-W.PDF.
- - Lopez, J. M., 2007: A Mediterranean derecho: Catalonia (Spain), 17th August 2003, Atmos Res, 83, 272–283, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2005.08.008.
- - Markowski, P. M. and Richardson, Y. P., 2010: Mesoscale Meteorology in Midlatitudes, Ed. John Wiley & Sons, 430 pp.
- - McCann, W. D., 1994: Windex - A New Index for Forecasting Microburst Potential, Weather Forecast, 9, 532–541, doi: 10.1175/1520-0434(1994)009<0532:WNIFFM>2.0.CO;2.
- - Mueller, C. K. and Carbone, R. E., 1987: Dynamics of a Thunderstorm Outflow, J Atmos Sci, 44, 1879–1898, doi: 10.1175/1520-0469(1987)044<1879:DOATO>2.0.CO;2.
- - Pascual, R. and Callado, A., 2002: Mesoanalysis of recurrent convergence zones in north-eastern Iberian Peninsula, Proceedings of Second European Conference on Radar in Meteorology and Hydrology (ERAD), Delft, Holland, 18-22 November 2002.
- - Pineda, N., Aran, M., Andrés, A., Busto, M., Farnell, C., and Torà, M., 2009: Study of September 17th 2007 severe hailstorm in Pla d'Urgell. Part II: meteorological analysis, Tethys, 6, 83–102, doi: 10.3369/thetys.2009.6.06.
- - Pistotnik, G., Holzer, A. M., Kaltenböck, R., and Tschannett, S., 2011: An F3 downburst in Austria - A case study with special focus on the importance of real-time site surveys, Atmos Res, 100, 565–579, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2010.10.011.
- - Rasmussen, E. N. and Blanchard, D. O., 1998: A Baseline Climatology of Sounding-Derived Supercell and Tornado Forecast Parameters, Weather Forecast, 13, 1148–1164.
- - Saltikoff, E., Koistinen, J., and Hohti, H., 2004: Downburst identification using Doppler shear in FMI radar network, Proceedings of Third European Conference on Radar in Meteorology and Hydrology (ERAD), Visby, Sweden, 6-10 September 2004, p. 41-44.
- - Shen, J., Parks, E. K., and Bach, R. E., 1996: A Comprehensive Analysis of two Downburst related Aircraft Accidents, J Aircr, 33, 924–930, doi: 10.2514/3.47037.
- - Sigmet, 2011: IRISTM Product & Display Manual, Version 8.12.9.
- - Wakimoto, R. M., 1985: Forecasting dry microburst activity over the High Plains, Mon Weather Rev, 113, 1131–1143, doi: 10.1175/1520-0493(1985)113<1131:FDMAOT>2.0.CO;2.
- - Wilson, J. W. and Wakimoto, R. M., 2001: The Discovery of the Downburst: T.T. Fujita’s Contribution, Bull Amer Meteorol Soc, 82, 49–62, doi: 10.1175/1520-0477(2001)082<0049:TDOTDT>2.3.CO;2.